One of the symbols of the city of Coimbra was built between 1717 and 1728, at the time designated the House of the Bookstore, adopted the designation Joanina Library in honor of its patron D. João V, being recognized with one of the most original and spectacular European baroque libraries .
Baroque masterpiece located in the Palace of the Schools of the University of Coimbra, in the
Faculty of Law of the University of Coimbra, received its first books after 1750, was built in order to exalt the monarch and the wealth of the empire, especially from Brazil, this library is, in addition to a splendorous combination of exotic materials , a real safe for books.
Endowed with copies of the rarest bibliographical collections, the Joanina Library presents a collection of collections from the 17th and 18th centuries. XVI, XVII and XVIII that represent the best that took place in the cultured Europe of its time.
In 2013 the British newspaper The Telegraph considered the Joanine Library as "the most spectacular in the world", and due to the strong need for preservation, in 2014 the Library entered the biennial list of World Monuments Watch.